Frequently Asked Questions

When you’re searching for the right long-term rental to call home when relocating to Barbados, we are here to help. Your TERRA Agent belongs to a team of knowledgeable professionals who will show you an assortment of real estate options that suit your budget and preferences. Finding your new home in Barbados will be easy and seamless.

What is the typical standard lease?

Usually 12 months, however some of our listings may accommodate 3 to 6 months leases.

What does a standard lease look like?

Download Here.

What currency are leases usually in?

Leases are typically in Barbados Dollars.

When is the security deposit returned?

The security deposit is returned at the maturity of the lease after the home is inspected by the landlord and any outstanding expenses and utility bills are paid.

How can I pay the initial deposit?

Initial deposit can be paid via international wire transfer, and we are in a position to take payments by VISA or Mastercard. Please note payments via credit card are subject to a 3.5% charge on top of your payment.

How is the initial deposit paid?

The initial deposit can be paid to The Terra Group and we will then transfer the funds to the Landlord. Subsequent rent payments will be made to the landlord. Prior to moving in, you will have your landlord’s banking information to pay all future monthly payments.

How much notice is generally required to schedule a viewing of a property?

There is a minimum requirement of 24 hours notice where properties are tenanted. However, we are happy to make a request on short notice. For weekend showings, please give us 48 hours notice so we can ensure landlords can facilitate.

We like the place; can we have it without the furniture that’s in there?

Some owners are flexible and willing to make that adjustment, but we can verify this with the landlord based on your specific requests.

Are pets allowed at rental properties?

Generally, pets are allowed but this varies from landlord to landlord as well as the covenants of the home you choose. We will be able to confirm this on any specific property you are interested in. If you require information on bringing in pets from overseas, visit the pet travel website for more information.

Do properties have insect screens?

In our tropical island climate, it is not unusual to have small insects flying in and through homes. Some properties are fitted with window screens to keep this to a minimum. Your agent can confirm if the particular property has screens.

Is high speed internet and cable available?

Yes, service is provided via FLOW & Digicel.

Does the rental price include maintenance of the garden and/or pool?

Usually this would be in the description for each property. Some landlords may include the pool and garden maintenance. Your agent can confirm this information on any property you may be interested in.

Does the rental price include utilities?

This would be clearly stated in the description of the property. For short term rentals (under 6 months), landlords are keen to do a monthly rate that is inclusive of all utilities. For long term rentals, we can confirm with the potential landlord to see if they are willing to cover the cost of any utilities before signing your rental agreement.

What services are usually transferred?

Telephone/Internet/Cable as well as electricity can be transferred into the tenant’s name.

Can you transfer the water bill into the Tenants name?

Water bills always remain in the Owner’s name and will either be delivered to the house or passed along to the tenant from the owner or their property manager for the tenant to pay, unless there is an agreement whereby the water is included in the rental rate.

How to Transfer Mobile/TV/Broadband/Home Phone?

FLOW & Digicel require a letter or Tenant Advice form, from the owner and from the tenant. The letter from the owner authorizes a temporary transfer of their account into the name of the tenant. The letter from the tenant will be accepting responsibility re owner’s request. The tenant then takes the letters to FLOW/Digicel office with their ID and a copy of owner’s ID and FLOW/Digicel will facilitate the transfer.